Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Strawberry Pie


If you read my post on Saturday, June 22 on strawberry shortcake, you know that  my kids, my mom and I went strawberry picking last week. We picked a bunch of berries. And what is the best thing to do with fresh berries? Make desserts, of course. This beautiful, sweet, yummolicious pie was one of those desserts. 

This weekend we had friends over for dinner. They were kind enough to bring really amazing filet mignon steaks for the main course, so I figures I had to have a something special for dessert. Since I had the fresh berries, I figured a strawberry pie made with fresh-picked berries would be a nice offering. Served with fresh whipped cream, it was a huge hit. They really enjoyed it.

What you Will Need:
Pie Crust (posted on May 18, 2013), baked
Pie Plate
Baking Sheet
KitchenAid Mixer with Whisk Attachment

Ingredients:
Pie Filling
1 1/2 pounds Strawberries; washed and hulled
1 cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Corn Starch
3/4 cup Water

Whipped Cream
1 cup Heavy Cream (Whipping Cream)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions:
Bake Pie Crust
Sorry, I don't have pictures of baking the pie crust. I wasn't planning to give these directions. Then as I was writing the post, I thought I really should include them. I plan to make a french silk pie this week, so I will include pictures on baking the pie crust with that post. 

1. Once your pie crust is rolled out and in your pie pan, loosely cover it with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour.

2. Place baking sheet on bottom rack of oven and preheat to 425°F.

3. Once dough is chilled (it should be firm to the touch), pierce bottom and sides with a fork. 

4. Line the crust with a double layer of aluminum foil, making sure the foil is all the way to the edges of the bottom of the pan.

5. Fill the foil with dried beans. Make sure they cover the bottom and go part way up the sides. 

6. Place the pie pan on the baking sheet and reduce the oven temperature to 400°F. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges of the crust start to turn golden brown.

7. Remove the foil and weights or beans from the pie pan. Continue to bake the pie crust for an additional 15 minutes.

8. Brush the inside of the crust with an egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water).

9. Bake the crust for an additional 3 minutes.

10. Let the crust cool completely.

Pie Filling
1. Arrange half of the strawberries in the cooled pie crust.


2. Mash the remaining strawberries.


3. In a medium saucepan, combine mashed strawberries with sugar. Cook over medium heat to a boil, stirring frequently.

4. In a measuring cup, whisk together corn starch and water. 


5. Gradually stir water mixture into berry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer until thick, approximately 10 minutes, stirring constantly.

I'm not sure the picture shows it, but this is thick.

6. Pour berry mixture into pie crust over berries.

7. Chill for at least 3 hours.
I had a little too much berry mixture, but I couldn't
bear to throw it out. You really should be able to see
the whole berry tips after you pour the mixture in.
It is prettier and more of a show stopper that way.
But it still tasted amazing!

Whipped Cream
For best results, bowl and whisk should be cold. 

1. I placed my bowl and whisk in the freezer for approximately 5 minutes.

2. Beat cream on medium until just before peaks form.


3. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat on high until peaks form. Don't over-beat it, or you will have sweet butter.



Serve pie topped with whipped cream. 

The perfect end to a great dinner. I hope you enjoy it!


"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment