Monday, June 10, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings


I apologize for my absence for the past few days. I was out of town this weekend for a friend's wedding. We had a great time celebrating, and I had it all planned out that I would blog about red velvet brownies with white chocolate frosting on Sunday when I returned home. Unfortunately, after I made the brownies, my husband and I decided they were not blog-worthy. I am still perfecting the recipe. I promise I will post it as soon as I get it right.

Until then, I thought I would share this delightful recipe for chicken and dumplings. This is a twist on the traditional chicken and dumplings I usually make. It's fun to change things up every now and then.

Ingredients:
3-4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts; seasoned, cooked and cut into pieces
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
1 cup Carrot, chopped
1 teaspoon Parsley 
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon Tapioca Flour/Starch
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Milk

For Dumplings:
3/4 cup Sorghum Flour
3/4 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour/Starch
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Shortening
1 cup Milk

Directions:
1. Season, cook and chop chicken. Chop onion and carrots.

2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. 

3. Add onions and and carrots.


4. Add garlic and herbs and cook until onions and carrots are tender.

5. Sprinkle tapioca flour over vegetables. Add chicken broth and stirring to incorporate tapioca flour.

6. Add chicken.

7. Add milk, stir well, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.


8. Pour mixture into greased 9x13 pan.

9. Preheat oven to 375° F.

10. In a small bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthum gum and salt. 

11. Cut in shortening with pastry cutter.

12. Mix in milk.

13. Drop dumpling mixture by spoonful onto chicken mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until dumplings are golden brown.

Now that is blog-worthy!

"Not caring what other people think is the best choice you will ever make."
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment