Monday, June 24, 2013

Greek Pizza


Spinach, artichokes, and feta oh my! And that's not all. This pizza is loaded with good stuff like garlic, water chestnuts, parmesan cheese, and yummy spices. 

This pizza is an adaptation of The Pampered Chef's Grecian Party Squares. It was featured in their Season's Best Recipe Collection of Fall/Winter 2002, and has been a family favorite ever since. 

The original recipe uses refrigerated crescent rolls as the crust and dry vegetable soup mix for the spice, neither of which are gluten free. I really enjoy this pizza, so I HAD to figure out a way to make it gluten free. I have already perfected my pizza dough recipe, so the real challenge was coming up with something to replace the vegetable soup mix.

I spent some time meandering through the aisles of the grocery store trying to find something that would work. I finally landed in the spice aisle and found that Mrs. Dash has many of the same ingredients as the vegetable soup mix. After only two attempts, I managed to create a pizza my husband and mother agree is a great equivalent. 

So, when my friend from church called the other day, and asked me to bring something to the funeral home for her daughter-in-law who has Celiac's; I immediately thought of this pizza. I guess when I think about it, it does seem like an odd food to bring for such an occasion; but I'm just not a big fan of gluten free sandwiches. Truth is - I've never really been a big fan of sandwiches at all. So, my mind typically goes to hot food. I also took some "Heaven on Earth" Chocolate Muffins for good measure. Chocolate makes everything better.

I guess I've been a little long winded today, so let's get to making some greek pizza!

What You Will Need:
Pizza Dough - posted on June 20, 2013
Pizza Stone or Pan
Cutting Board
Chef's Knife

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash Original
1 - 10 oz. package of Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and drained
1 can (14 oz.) Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
1 can (10 oz.) Sliced Water Chestnuts, drained and chopped
4 oz. Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped or pressed
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded (for topping)

Directions:
1. Chop artichokes and place in a medium bowl.

2. Chop water chestnuts and place in the same medium bowl.

3. Chop garlic cloves and place in the same medium bowl.

4. Combine all ingredients, except shredded parmesan cheese in the same medium bowl. Mix well.


5. Spread half of the mixture over the already prepared pizza crust. (Or you can double the pizza dough recipe to make a large pizza and use all of the topping.)

6. Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese over topping.

7. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. (If you are making a large, you will bake an additional 20-25 minutes.)


The Mrs. Dash gives it a little kick of pepper that the original recipe didn't have. If you find that it is too peppery for you, just reduce the Mrs. Dash to 1 Tablespoon instead of 2. 

This pizza is great served in smaller pieces as an appetizer as well. In fact, that is how the original recipe was written; but we love it so much, we eat it as a meal. Either way, it is scrumptious! Enjoy.

"Your mission: Be so busy loving your life you have no time for hate, regret or fear."
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment