Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pizza Dough


Did you know that to make really good traditional pizza dough, you use wheat flour with extra gluten? True story. It is all that extra gluten that gives the dough that elasticity/stretchiness. So, you can imagine that making gluten free pizza dough can be quite challenging. But, you know me, I love a challenge! 

This recipe was actually modified from one of the first recipes I received after I was diagnosed. It was printed in the Oakland Press, a local county paper, (Yes, it was on paper, not on the internet. Go figure.) and it was credited to "Gluten Free Quick & Easy". I've made a few modifications, which I of course believe make it even better.

My biggest complaint with most of the gluten free pizza doughs I have tasted is that they are grainy and flat. They usually don't have any body to them, and certainly no fluff. I love the way this dough puffs up like traditional pizza dough, and it has a great flavor.

Makes One 12-inch Crust

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment (I don't know if you have noticed, but I don't make too many recipes that don't call for my KitchenAid Mixer. I love this machine!)
Pizza Stone or Pan

Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
3/4 cup Warm Milk (about 110°F)
1 teaspoon Sugar
2/3 cup Sweet Sorghum Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
2 teaspoons Xanthum Gum
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Gelatin Powder
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Cider Vinegar

Directions:
1. Grease pan. (I used about a Tablespoon of olive oil and spread it around with my hand.)

2. Preheat oven to 425° F.

3. In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and warm milk. Set aside.
This is what it looks like after about 5 minutes.
4. In KitchenAid Mixer bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthum gum, salt and gelatin powder.

5. Add olive oil.

6. Add cider vinegar.

7. Add yeast mixture.

8. Mix until dough comes together. Mixing a little longer will help to get the dough aerated, which will make it fluffier.

9. Transfer dough to the pre-greased pan. 

10. Spray a piece of plastic wrap (Large enough to cover the pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Lay the plastic wrap, sprayed side down, over the dough. Shape into a rectangle (or whatever shape you like) leaving the edges thicker to make a crust, which will help to keep your toppings on the pizza. 


11. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.

12. Add toppings of your choice, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Doesn't that crust look amazing?!?!?! 

I know the toppings look pretty great too. That is my greek pizza, and it will be featured in an upcoming post. Keep a look out for it. You won't want to miss it! 

Words cannot describe how ecstatic I was when I welcomed pizza with a real crust back into my life. I hope you will be too. This is super easy to make. Give it a try. I dare you. You will not be disappointed. 

"You've always had the power, my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself." ~Glinda from Wizard of Oz
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment