Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting


I have to admit, this red velvet recipe has given me some grief. As you may have read in my Chicken and Dumplings post on June 10, the first batch wasn't blog-worthy. What that means is they had that "too much food coloring" taste. So, I went back to the drawing board. 

I thought I had it all figured out with my second try, and I probably did; but I didn't get to try them. As I was trying to get them out of the pan, it shattered all over my kitchen counter. 
Isn't that depressing!?!

I was so distraught over the mess, that I decided to go in a different direction. Instead of brownies, I would make cupcakes. They say, "third times a charm", and they are right. These cupcakes are red as velvet and tasty as can be (no food coloring flavor), and they are topped with sweet white chocolate frosting.


Makes approximately 18 cupcakes.

What You Will Need:
Cupcake Tins
Cupcake Liners
Cooling Racks

Ingredients:
For Cupcakes
3/4 cup Soy Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Ground Flax Meal
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
1 teaspoon Vinegar
1 Large Egg
1/4 cup Canola Oil
3/4 teaspoon Red Gel Food Coloring

For Frosting
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
8 oz. White Chocolate, melted and cooled
2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream

Directions:
I recommend making the frosting first to allow time for the flavors to marry.

For Frosting
1. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring between, until chocolate is completely melted. Set aside to cool.


2. In KitchenAid Mixer bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar together until well mixed. Start on low, or you will be wearing the powdered sugar instead of eating it.


3. Add vanilla and mix.

4. Add melted white chocolate and mix.

5. Add heavy cream and mix until frosting is desired consistency.


For Cupcakes
1. In a 2 cup measuring cup, mix milk and vinegar. Set aside.

2. Place cupcake liners in cupcake tins. Set Aside.

3. Preheat oven to 400° F. 

4. In a medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, flax, xanthum gum, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and sugar.


5. To the milk mixture, add the egg, oil and food coloring.

6. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.

7. Pour batter into cupcake tins. Fill tins 1/2 - 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.

8. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on cooling racks.

9. Frost and share!

"Take pride in how far you have come and have faith in how far you can go."
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment