Sunday, June 2, 2013

Fried Rice



Last night was leftover night at the Darroch house, but I was in the mood for something a little fancier than baked chicken breasts and white rice. So, to jazz it up a bit I decided to make fried rice with the chicken and rice. This is super simple to make, and crazy delicious. It is also very versatile. You can use whatever meat or vegetables that you have. 

Before I tell you how to make it, we should have a little talk about soy sauce. Did you know that soy sauce is not gluten free? True story. There are actually only four ingredients in traditional soy sauce. They are water, wheat, soybeans and salt. I know, it was a shock to me as well. Yet another favorite I had to live without until I discovered a beautiful liquid substance lovingly known as Tamari. Tamari is gluten free soy sauce made with 100% soy. Yummy! I threw a little party when I welcomed chinese food back into my diet. It was a party in my head, but a party none the less.

What You Will Need:
Large Frying Pan

Ingredients:
Remember you can use the meat and vegetables of your choice. This is what I used, because it is what I had. You can also increase or decrease the measurements based on how many you are serving or what you have.

2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
1/2 cup Chopped Carrots
1/2 cup Frozen Peas (Thawed)
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
1 Large Egg
1 cup Chopped, Cooked Chicken Breasts
2 cups Cooked Rice (Leftover from a previous meal works best.)
1/4 cup Tamari Sauce

Directions:
1. Gather and prep ingredients.


2. In large frying pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat.

3. Add carrots, peas and garlic to pan. Cook until vegetables are tender.

 4. Add egg to pan. Scramble egg.


5. Add chicken, rice and tamari sauce. Stir and cook until heated through.


I hope you enjoy this fried rice recipe, and have fun trying all of the wonderful variations that are possible. I look forward to hearing your favorite variation.

If you are having trouble finding Tamari sauce in your local store, you can order it from The Gluten Free Mall.

"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." ~Unknown

Sheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment