Friday, June 14, 2013

Chicken Divan


If you've never had chicken divan before, you are in for a treat! It is a casserole with chicken, vegetables, a creamy-cheesy sauce that has a little zing from the mayo and crunchy bread crumbs as a topping. We serve it atop rice. My whole family loves it, even though they are typically not big fans of casseroles. 

I originally received this recipe from my brother's mother-in-law at my wedding shower. My mom had sent a blank recipe card with each shower invitation and asked the guests to write one of their favorite recipes on it and bring it to the shower for the bride and groom. All these years later (13), I still have all of the cards; and some of them, including chicken divan, have become staples in our kitchen.

When I received the recipes, I hadn't been diagnosed with Celiac's yet; so most of them are not gluten free. But, as you know, I love the challenge of converting recipes to gluten free. This one was a bit of a challenge, because the original recipe called for two cans of a "cream of" soup. I haven't found one of these canned "cream of" soups that is gluten free. 

Then I found this recipe for make your own "cream of something" soup on the One Orange Giraffe blog. I reduced the minced onions to two tablespoons in my recipe; because the first time I tried it, all I could taste was onions. Once I made the adjustment, it was perfect. Think of the possibilities, with a gluten free recipe for cream of something soup mix.

What You Will Need:
9 x 13 Casserole Dish

Ingredients:
For Casserole
3-4 Chicken Breasts, cooked and cut into pieces
The Equivalent of 2 Cans of Cream of Something Soup
3 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1-2 cups Mushrooms, chopped (I usually use button mushrooms, but baby bellas were on special when I was shopping this time. My husband loved them. I suppose you could use whatever kind of mushroom you like.)
1-2 cups Broccoli, chopped
1 1/3 cups of Mayo
2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed
Gluten Free Bread Crumbs for topping (After much searching, I found some great bread crumbs from a small local shop. Since it is just a topping to add some crunch, you can really use any gluten free bread crumbs. You could also make your own with my "Best Gluten Free Bread". Some other options might be potato chip crumbs or tortilla chip crumbs.)

For Cream of Something Soup Mix
1 cup Non-Fat Dried Milk
3/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 cup Bullion (You can use beef, chicken or vegetable. I used chicken broth base.)
2 Tablespoons Dried Minced Onions
1 teaspoon Basil
1 teaspoon Parsley
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 can = 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cup water, cook until thick

Directions:
1. Prepare Cream of Something Soup. In a small saucepan, measure 2/3 of cream of something soup mix. 

2. Add 2 1/2 cups of water to soup mix in saucepan.

3. Cook on medium heat until thick, stirring regularly. Let cool. Set aside.

4. Chop chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, and cheese.
I had already mixed the sauce when I took this
picture. That is the next step.
5. Add mayo and lemon juice to cream soup. Mix well.


6. Preheat oven to 350° F.

7. In 9 x 13 pan, layer sauce, chicken, veggies, cheese and repeat. 
This is where you might think I'm a little crazy.
You might notice that I only have broccoli on
one side of the pan, mushrooms on the other
side, and no veggies in the middle. My husband
doesn't like broccoli, my daughter and I don't
like mushrooms, and my son doesn't like either.
I know, crazy, but it works for us.

8. Top with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered for one hour.


Serve it atop rice. It is amazing fresh out of the oven, but it might be even better as leftovers for lunch the next day.




"Sometimes God doesn't give you what you think you want, not because you don't deserve it, but because you deserve better."


Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment