Tuesday, July 9, 2013

National Cookie Day Cookies


Today is National Cookie Day! What better way to celebrate National Cookie Day than with the original cookie - the chocolate chip cookie? This was actually one of my first recipes, but I have been waiting to share it with you until just the right time. Today seems like the perfect day. 

I have to be honest. I didn't know it was National Cookie Day until this morning. I had already written my post on Parmesan Breaded Chicken, and had planned to publish it this morning. (Don't worry. That will be a post later this week.) However, plans changed when I woke up and my husband informed me of this national holiday. He said I HAD to post my famous chocolate chip cookies. 

No problem, except that meant I had to find the time to make the batter, chill it, bake the cookies, and write the post. AND I can never leave well enough alone. After all, it is National Cookie Day. One kind of cookie doesn't seem like celebration enough, even if those cookies are my famous chocolate chip cookies. So, I mixed up a batch of butterscotch cookies as well.

Somehow I found the time to mix up two batches of cookies in the morning before the kids and I headed off to the beach. It was a scorcher here in Michigan today. I left the two doughs in the fridge to chill while we chilled in the lake. When we had finally had enough, we headed home, and the oven hasn't been off since.

I like fluffy, chewy cookies more than dry, crisp cookies. I also think that bigger cookies are better than little ones. I especially like my cookies to be thick, and to hold their shape. It took me a while to figure out how to consistently get them to do that. The secret is corn starch. Try it, you will see it works like a charm.

Whether you love the original chocolate chip cookie or you like to switch things up with butterscotch, I guarantee you will love this recipe. Make these cookies to celebrate National Cookie Day or any other day. You won't regret it.

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Medium Scoop
Baking Sheet(s)
Silicone Mat (s) - This is optional, but since I started using them, I won't bake cookies without them.
Cooling Racks

Ingredients:
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3/4 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup Soy Flour
3/4 cup Potato Starch
3/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthum Gum
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 cups Chips (Flavor of your choice: chocolate, butterscotch, white chocolate, etc.)

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, corn starch, xanthum gum, baking soda & salt. Set aside.

In the KitchenAid Mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugars with paddle attachment. Be patient. This can take a few minutes.

  
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg.

Add vanilla. Mix well.


Add dry ingredients with mixer on low. Mix well on medium.


Add chips and blend until just mixed in.

No, you don't need glasses. This is a picture of
the butterscotch dough, not the chocolate
chip dough.
Refrigerate dough for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F. 

Use medium scoop to scoop dough onto silicone mat lined baking sheet.

Bake for 16 minutes or until golden brown.


Cool on baking sheet for two minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. They are also really good eaten warm.

Don't forget to serve them with a tall glass of cold milk.

"One of the things I learned in Kindergarten: warm cookies and cold milk are good for you." ~Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

I can't argue with that!
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment