Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fried Fish



I can't believe it took me so long to create this batter recipe! I am so excited about it. Doesn't it look scrumptious? Believe me, it was! Yep, I ate it all up. Yum.

This recipe has opened up a whole new world for me (and you!). Although this post is about fried fish, this batter can be used for shrimp, chicken, onion rings, zucchini and many other delicious foods. I believe you are going to love it. It creates a great crunchy coating, and is full of flavor.

What You Will Need:
Large Skillet
Plate Lined With Paper Towel or a Baking Pan Lined With a Rack

Ingredients:
4 Ocean Perch Fillets or the food of your choice
1/2 cup Soy Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1 cup Water
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Onion Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika
Canola Oil (for frying)

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Measure out 1/2 cup of the mixture and transfer it to a separate small bowl. Mix water into medium bowl with original mixture.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.

Dip fish in flour mixture.

Dip floured fish in batter.

Place fish in skillet. Fry on each side for a few minutes.


Place cooked fish on paper towel lined plate or baking dish lined with a cooling rack. While I used a plate lined with paper towel (out of habit), I really recommend using a baking dish lined with a cooling rack. This allows all of the fat to drip to the bottom, and gives you the option to throw the first batch in the oven (on a very low temp) to keep it warm while you are frying the rest.

Serve with tartar sauce or yummy sauce, french fries and your favorite vegetable. My husband makes his own tartar sauce by mixing Miracle Whip (or you could use mayo) with relish. I don't like tartar sauce, so I use what I call yummy sauce. Yummy sauce is Miracle Whip mixed with Ketchup. I know it sounds weird, but it is really good, and it gives your fried fish a little zip.  

The family loved this. I can't wait to try it with zucchini, green beans and onion rings. They are going to be so amazing!

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment