Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Crunchy Chicken with Honey Garlic Glaze


When I served this to my husband, he said it reminded him of General Tso's chicken from the Chinese restaurant. That made me really happy, because I LOVE General Tso's chicken, and have missed it since my diagnosis. Unfortunately, it was also a bit sad, because he DOESN'T like General Tso's. BUT, he is such a trooper, he ate it anyway. Just another reason why I love him so. :D

I served it with rice noodles, because that is what I had in the pantry, and we have already eaten a lot of rice this week. However, now that I think of it more like General Tso's chicken, I will probably cut it into smaller pieces and serve it with rice. Maybe I will even buy one of those Chinese take out boxes, and really try to fool myself. Hey people, it's the little things in life. . .

What You Will Need:
Large Skillet
Baking Sheet lined with Cooling Rack
Small Sauce Pan

Ingredients:
3-4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut horizontally
1/4 cup Olive Oil
Flour Dredge
1/3 cup Soy Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/3 cup Potato Starch
1 1/2 Tablespoon Ginger
1 Tablespoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Nutmeg
2 teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Ground Pepper
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon Sage
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Egg Wash
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Water
Honey Garlic Glaze
1/2 cup Honey
1/8 cup Tamari Soy Sauce
2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Ground Pepper

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together four dredge ingredients. Set aside.

In a separate small bowl, beat together eggs and water. Set aside.

Cut chicken breasts horizontally to create thin fillets.

Pour olive oil in skillet and heat over low-medium heat. (Olive oil should cover bottom of skillet and be approximately 1/4 inch deep.)

Dredge chicken pieces in flour, egg, and flour.




Fry chicken in skillet until golden brown - approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. (Don't overcrowd your pan. Fry chicken in 2-3 batches.)

Remove chicken from pan, and place in baking sheet lined with a cooling rack. (This allows the oil to drain off, and the chicken to stay crispy.)

In small saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat to soften. (Do not brown the garlic.)

Add honey, tamari sauce, and pepper. (If you want spicy sauce, you can add some pepper flakes. I would start with 1/8 teaspoon and slowly add until desired heat level.) Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool for a few minutes.

Dip chicken in sauce and serve.



Yummy, yummy in my tummy! 

TIP: If you or your kids don't like sauce, you can serve this as fried chicken. I actually didn't dip my kids' chicken in the sauce, and they loved it just the way it was. 

"Laugh as much as you breath, and love as long as you live." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

That is a lofty goal, but surely one to aspire to.
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment