Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pancake Muffins

Blueberry Pancake Muffins
Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins









Doesn't that sound amazing? The great thing about pancake muffins is that all of the pancakes are ready at the same time. No more cold pancakes or waiting your turn for the next "batch" of pancakes to be done. You can all eat together as a family. What a novel idea! 

I have to admit, I didn't come up with this idea on my own. I first saw it on pinterest. The original idea is from Shelly at theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com. She makes pancake bites - mini pancake muffins. Sounds great, but why make pancake bites, when you can make full size muffins? I want a meal, not a snack. So, I made some improvements to her idea, and I used my own pancake recipe.

This pancake recipe makes the lightest and fluffiest pancakes, and you can add all kinds of mix-ins to personalize them just for you and your family. 

What You'll Need:
Muffin Tin(s)
Non-Stick Cooking Spray

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/3 cup Rice Flour (I grind my own with a Vitamill food mill. It makes a huge mess, and I would really prefer to have either a Vitamix or a Blendtech blender.)
1/4 cup Tapioca Flour/Starch
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tin(s) and set aside.

1. Mix rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthum gum, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium size bowl. Whisk together to ensure even distribution and set aside.

2. Mix milk, canola oil and vanilla in a measuring cup and set aside.

3. Beat egg until fluffy.
I made a double batch here, so don't worry if yours looks like a smaller amount.

Wet ingredients, dry ingredients & beaten egg.
4. Slowly whisk in wet and dry ingredients to egg. Whisk until smooth.




5. Now it's magic time - time to add mix-ins. You can add whatever you want - nuts, bacon, ham, cinnamon, crumble topping - the sky is the limit. I divided my batter in half (Remember, I made a double batch.), and added chocolate chips to half (for the kiddos) and blueberries to the other half (for the big kiddos). 



6. Scoop batter into muffin tin(s). I use a medium scoop to fill the cups about 3/4 full. 

7. Place muffin tin(s) in the center of the oven, and bake for 16-20 minutes depending on the size of your muffins and your oven. Bake until golden brown and/or toothpick in the center comes out clean.


Don't they look amazing baking in the oven?
8. Take out of oven and let cool in muffin tin(s) for 2 minutes before removing. Serve immediately. Pancake muffins can also be reheated the next day. Place on a microwave safe plate, and microwave on half power for 30 -45 seconds depending on your microwave. 



Each batch makes approximately 6 pancake muffins. This recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc. to meet the needs of your family/group size.

You can also use this recipe to make traditional pancakes, or put the batter in a squeeze bottle and make letters or shapes. Like these:




I hope you enjoy these pancakes in whatever form you make them. I welcome your comments and questions.

"What would you attempt, if you knew you would not fail?"


Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment