Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Chicken Piccata


"Mom, what's for dinner?" was the text I received from my son on my way home from work today. Of course, my first response was "food", because that is the kind of smart-alec I am. Then I started racking my brain for something to cook when I arrived home. Because I have a long commute from work, my hubby usually cooks dinner, but today he was working late. So, dinner was up to me. Luckily, my hubby had pulled some chicken breasts out of the freezer yesterday to thaw for today's dinner. He's so smart, don't you think? 

Since my hubby is so smart, I at least had something to work with. I knew I could make something with chicken breasts, and it had to be something that doesn't take too long to make. The answer? One of my all time favorites - chicken piccata! We actually had this as one of our entrees at our wedding reception, and I asked the waiter to bring me an extra dish of artichokes. I guess I've always been a little high maintenance.

Anyway, once I decided that I was making chicken piccata, I decided I would use it as my next post too. I figure it is time to prove that I can cook as well as bake. Let's get to it.

What You Will Need:
Large Frying Pan with a Lid
Meat Cutting Board
Meat Knife
Veggie Cutting Board
Veggie Knife
Tea Kettle or Small Sauce Pan

Ingredients:
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (I actually only used 3, because that is what was thawed)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
1/3 cup Corn Starch
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 cups Water, boiling
4 teaspoons Chicken Broth Base (I use Orrington Farms Broth Base & Seasoning. It gives a deeper flavor than chicken broth or stock, and it is gluten free. However, you can use chicken broth or stock in place of the water and chicken broth base if you prefer or are in a pinch.)
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice (I use bottles lemon juice, because I am lazy and cheap. But you can use the juice of a real lemon if you like.)
1 can Quartered Artichoke Hearts (not marinated)
Cooked Rice Noodles to serve the Chicken Piccata over (I figure you can follow the directions on the package for cooking them.)

Directions:
1. Prepare chicken breasts. Cut off any fat. I slice mine in half lengthwise - this helps with portion control, and they take less time to cook. This is where you use the meat cutting board and the meat knife.

2. Boil water. This is where you use the tea kettle or small sauce pan.

3. Meanwhile, mix corn starch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a plastic bag (I used a quart size ziploc bag.). Set aside.




4. Mix boiling water with chicken broth base and lemon juice. Set aside.


This is the what the container looks like for the broth base & seasoning I use.

5. Rough chop the artichoke hearts. This is where you use the veggie cutting board and veggie knife.




6. Heat frying pan with olive oil on medium heat.


I took this picture before I added the olive oil.
7. Put chicken breast pieces in plastic bag, seal and shake until well coated.




8. Place coated chicken breast pieces in the hot frying pan. 


9. Flip chicken breast pieces when brown - approximately 1 minute. And cook on second side until brown - approximately 1 minute.


10. Add chicken broth mixture to the pan. Reduce heat to low.


11. Add chopped artichokes to the pan.



12. Put lid on pan, and simmer at low for 20 minutes.


13. Serve immediately over rice noodles.


Delish!! The cornstarch on the chicken breasts helps to thicken the sauce. It is such a simple recipe and so yummy. My family loves it. Serve with your favorite veggie on the side and you have a well-balanced, delicious family meal. 

As always, I would love to hear what you think. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

"Your children will become who you are, so be who you want them to be." 

Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment