Friday, December 27, 2013

Pumpkin Pie



Merry Christmas! I hope you enjoyed celebrating with family and friends. I sure did. In fact, I still am. I have the pleasure of spending the winter break with my kids. I don't have to go back to work until after the new year. One of the ways we have been celebrating is eating pumpkin pie. But, this isn't just any pumpkin pie. This is my hubby's Aunt Peg's pumpkin pie. 

My husband has always loved this pumpkin pie recipe. I thought it was time to add it to my repertoire. After all, I don't bake anything that isn't gluten free anymore, so the only way he would get it is if I did. Aunt Peg's original recipe made 2+ pies (There was always filling left over.), but I only wanted to make one. So I cut the recipe in half and used gluten free crust of course.

This post is in honor of Aunt Peg. Sadly, Aunt Peg passed away in November of this year. She will be missed, but her pie recipe will fill our bellies with comfort for years to come. Give it a try, and let me know what you think.

What You Will Need:
Stand Mixer with Whisk Attachment
Silicone Mat or Clean Countertop
Rolling Pin
Pie Plate
Cooling Rack

Ingredients:
Pastry Dough (Posted on May 18, 2013)

2 1/4 cups Pumpkin Puree
1 cup Evaporated Milk
1 1/2 cups 1/2 & 1/2
4 Large Eggs
1/2 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 410° F.

Mix sugar and eggs together. Add pumpkin, spices and milk. Blend until well combined.

Roll out pastry dough and place in pie plate.

Pour pie filling into pastry dough.


Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° F and bake for an additional 60-70 minutes or until knife in center comes out clean.



Let cool on cooling rack until completely cool.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

"The magic of Christmas is not in the presents, but in His presence."
After all, it is about His birth.
~Sheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment