Sunday, December 8, 2013

Coconut Tarts


These coconut tarts are one of my hubby's favorite things. This recipe was handed down from his great Aunt Edye. She was an amazing baker, and I was lucky enough to get this recipe shortly after Tom and I were married. I like to keep them as a special treat, so I usually only make them about once or twice a year. Converting them to gluten free wasn't really all that tricky, since the filling is already gluten free. And, let's face it, as long as you have a decent pastry dough, it is really the filling that makes an amazing tart. 

I made this batch for Tom's birthday, which fell on Thanksgiving this year. Since I was also making pecan tarts (see the post from December 1, 2013), I tried to stretch the pastry dough. This recipe usually makes 9 tarts, but I filled the tarts a little more and only made 6. Keep that in mind when you make yours.

Let's get to it.

What You Will Need:
Round Cookie Cutter (Approximately 3")
Cupcake Tin
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
Cooling Rack

Ingredients:
Pastry Dough (Posted on May 18, 2013)
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Shredded Coconut
1 Large Egg
1 Tablespoon Milk
1 Tablespoon Butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375° F.

Once dough is rolled out, cut circles of dough with the cookie cutter.

Lightly spray the cupcake tin with the non-stick cooking spray. Place one circle of dough in each cupcake whole.

In a small bowl, mix all filling ingredients with a spoon until well combined.

Spoon filling into pastry cups.

Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Remember that I filled these tarts a little more than
you should. Yours shouldn't bubble over as much as this,
and therefore will be easier to get out of the tins.
Let cool in the pans for 20 minutes, then transfer tarts to cooling racks to cool completely.

Let tarts cool completely before eating serving. 

I should tell you, my husband does NOT share his coconut tarts. That's how much he loves them. If you plan to share these, I recommend doubling, tripling or quadrupling the recipe. I hope you love them as much as the hubby does. I'm sure Aunt Edye would be thrilled that people are enjoying her recipe.

"Be so good they can't ignore you." ~ Steve Martin
Now that sounds like some good advice. 
~Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment