Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Shortbread


My husband's grandmother was a baker, and she was Scottish. Although she had already passed away when I met my husband, I was lucky enough to receive her recipe for Scottish shortbread early in our relationship. I used to make it on occasion, because my husband loves it. I should clarify. He doesn't just love it, he takes his shortbread very serious. Don't try to pass a fake shortbread off on him. He will have none of it. 

So, I have to be honest, I was more than a little nervous when I decided to try to make a gluten free version. I thought I would have to make several attempts before I got it right. I was super excited to find that my first attempt was not only a winner to me, but the hubby even gave it a thumbs up. 

The beauty of shortbread is that it only has a few ingredients, and it is relatively simple to make.

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment
9 x 13 Pan
Wax Paper

Ingredients:
1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Soy Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a small bowl, whisk together soy flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthum gum. Set aside.

In KitchenAid Mixer bowl with Paddle Attachment, beat butter until light and fluffy.

Add sugar and beat until well blended and fluffy.


 Add dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together.


Transfer dough to ungreased 9 x 13 pan.

Cover with wax paper and spread out evenly.

Remove wax paper, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown around edges.

Let cool completely, then cut into bite sized pieces. Store in an air tight container.

For an extra special treat, sprinkle with colored sugar before you bake it or dip it in melted chocolate after it has cooled.



No matter how you make it, I hope you enjoy this very special family favorite.

"Being a family means you are part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life."

Sounds pretty wonderful to me!
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment