Sunday, August 18, 2013

Caramel Brownies


I must apologize for my absence over the past few days. I kind of got distracted by a home remodeling project and a few family outings. Since I am still unemployed, I thought it was a perfect time to finally paint our bedroom. I guess that took a little more time and energy that I really anticipated. My body seems to be older than my brain. ;)

We also spent a day at an indoor waterpark thanks to four free passes from our friends Janet and Jim. And, then we can't forget the world famous Woodward Dream Cruise. If you aren't into classic cars, you probably don't have a clue what I am talking about. Suffice it to say, if you ARE into classic cars, you don't want to miss it. I really shouldn't go into anymore detail here, since this is a blog about gluten free cooking, so google it to find out more.

Brownies are one of my favorite food groups. There is something so magical about the chocolate, fudgey, gooeyness of them. They always make me feel so happy. And sometimes, it is fun to change them up a bit by adding different ingredients. 

Today I felt like making them even more gooey by adding caramel. I really wanted to make turtle brownies by adding pecans too, but my son doesn't like nuts. Next time I won't be so generous. But, it is OK, because these caramel brownies are really quite amazing too. 

What You Will Need:
9 x 13 pan
Aluminum Foil
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
Cooling Rack

Ingredients:
1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Boiling Water
2/3 cup Canola Oil
3 cups Sugar
4 Large Eggs
2/3 cup Canola Oil
1 1/3 cup Soy Flour
2/3 cup Potato Starch
2/3 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
2 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 package Kraft Caramel Bits
1/3 cup Heavy Cream

Directions:
Line 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthum gum, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together cocoa and baking soda.

Mix in 2/3 cup canola oil.

Mix in water. Mix until well blended and thick.

Mix in sugar.

Mix in eggs.

Mix in 2/3 cup canola oil.

Mix in vanilla.

Mix in already whisked together dry ingredients. Mix just until blended.


Spread half of the batter in the 9 x 13 pan, and bake for 25 minutes or until top of batter is firm to touch.


In a small bowl, mix together caramel bits and heavy cream. Heat in microwave for 2-2 1/2 minutes in 30 second increments until completely melted. Mix well at each 30 second increment. (If you want to make turtle brownies, add 1 cup of chopped pecans to the caramel after it is melted.)


Pour caramel over partial cooked brownie.


Pour remaining brownie batter over caramel.


Bake for an additional 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool completely in pan on cooling rack.

Carefully remove brownies in aluminum foil from 9 x 13 pan. Cut into 2 inch square pieces. Store in an air tight container with wax paper between layers.

Yum, yum, yum!!!! Look at that caramel oozing out of the center of that brownie! 

"Chocolate is the answer. It doesn't matter what the question is."

Seriously, doesn't chocolate make everything better? I believe it does!
Sheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment