Thursday, August 22, 2013

Funnel Cake


It's county fair season here in the Midwest; and this year, our kids got to experience one for the first time. My son loved the tractor pull and the mud bog races, my daughter loved all of the rides, and they both really loved the demolition derby. Besides all of the fun activities, it didn't take them long to find and fall in love with a super popular fair food - funnel cakes.

The only sad part of our trip to the county fair was the fact that I couldn't enjoy the food with the family. Almost immediately the kids asked me if I could make gluten free funnel cakes. They have been asking me for weeks, and I have been saying I will try it. Today, I finally did.

I know it seems kind of ridiculous to make funnel cakes at home, but sometimes we do crazy things just to make our kids happy. If you do that, hi five! If you don't, maybe you should once in a while.

They actually turned out pretty good. The batter was very tasty. The only real problem I had was that they seemed a little greasy. I think if the oil was hotter, that would solve that problem. 

The kids loved them, and that is all that really matters to me!

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Whisk Attachment
Deep Fryer or Large Stock Pot & Thermometer
Oil for Frying
Spider Strainer or Something to Pull Cakes out of Oil
Paper Towel Lined Plate

Ingredients:
2 cups Milk
1 Large Egg, Beaten
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup Soy Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
Powdered Sugar for dusting

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together soy flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthum gum, salt, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.

In KitchenAid Mixer bowl, combine milk, egg and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.


Fold in melted butter.


Transfer batter to a funnel (use finger to stop the flow of the batter) or squeeze bottle.
I used a funnel to fill my squeeze bottle, and
placed the squeeze bottle in a heavy bottom mug
to keep it stable while I filled it.



Squeeze batter into oil moving in a back and forth motion to create a swirl pattern.

Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. (Sorry I didn't get pictures of the next few steps.)

Use spider strainer to remove from oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.

Dust with powdered sugar.



Looks just like the ones you get at the fair, doesn't it? Tastes like them too!

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. ~ Proverbs 22:6
Sheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment