Monday, October 7, 2013

Stuffing Waffles


My husband was born on Thanksgiving. It's no wonder then that turkey dinner with all the fixings is his favorite meal. I enjoy turkey dinner as well, but to be honest, the stuffing is really my favorite part of the meal. 

Unfortunately, until recently, I endured many turkey dinners without stuffing, because gluten free stuffing can be tricky. It has a tendency to turn to mush if it gets too moist. Since I like my stuffing stuffed inside the turkey (isn't that why it is called stuffing?!?), this was a real concern.

Then one day, my husband and I were watching a cooking show (I think it was Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but I'm not sure.) on Food Network, and we saw a guy cooking bread stuffing in a waffle maker. It was one of those great minds think alike moments - we looked at each other, and we both knew that we were thinking the same thing.

I almost immediately started experimenting with a stuffing recipe to cook in my Belgium waffle maker. We debuted our stuffing waffles at our annual New Year's Eve party last year. They were an instant hit.

This past Sunday, we had friends over for turkey dinner, and of course, we had stuffing waffles. Our friends loved them, and as you can see from my plate above, stuffing is still my favorite part of the meal.

What You Will Need:
Waffle Maker
Cooling Racks

Ingredients:
Best Gluten Free Bread (Posted on May 29, 2013), 3 loaves cubed and toasted (I baked my cubed bread in the oven at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes.)
4 cups Chicken Stock or Soup Base
3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1/2 cup Dried Minced Onion
1 1/2 teaspoon Celery Salt
1 teaspoon Sage
1/2 teaspoon Thyme

Directions:
In a medium bowl, mix chicken base, butter, onions, celery salt, sage and thyme.

In a large bowl, mix bread cubes and seasoning mixture.

Preheat waffle maker.

Spoon stuffing mix into waffle maker, and cook until golden brown.
Make sure you really fill the waffle maker. If you
only use this much stuffing, you will not get
a complete waffle.

Place waffles on a cooling rack until ready to serve. (You could also place them in a warm oven to keep them warm until serving time. Make sure you place them on a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack, so they stay crisp.)

Has it been a while since you have been able to enjoy bread stuffing with your turkey? Don't wait another day. Get yourself a turkey, invite some family and/or friends over, and live it up. 


"Live like it's Thanksgiving every day."

What are you thankful for today?
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment