Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chocolate Caramel Cookies


Those of you who know me or have been reading my blog for any amount of time, probably know that one of my favorite flavor combinations is chocolate and caramel. So you shouldn't be too surprised to see a chocolate caramel cookie recipe. 

Again I feel like I should apologize, because I am not baking apple or pumpkin goodies; but I just can't help myself. I LOVE chocolate so much! Since I don't have nearly as much time to bake as I did when I was unemployed, I tend to want to make the most of the baking time that I have. That means making something chocolate.

Don't get me wrong, I like apples and pumpkins; and I have some really great recipes for each of them. I really do intend to make those recipes and share them with you at some point. But until then, check out these moist and gooey cookies.

What You Will Need:
Large Bowl
Small Bowl
Whisk
Medium Saucepan
Large Cookie Scoop
Cookies Sheets lined with parchment or silicone mats
Cooling Racks

Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 cup Soy Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1/4 - 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (The original recipe called for 3/4 cup, but it was VERY difficult to get them to mix into the batter, and not all of them did.)
24 (approximately) Kraft Caramels (I used Kraft Caramel Bits, because that is what I had on hand, and I wanted to see how it would work. I recommend using Kraft Caramels instead. They will get more gooey than the bits.)

Directions:
In large bowl, whisk together cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.


In small bowl, whisk together soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, corn starch, and xanthum gum. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove from heat.

Add sugar and mix until combined.

Add brown sugar and mix until combined.

Add vanilla and mix until combined.

Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined.


Add butter mixture to cocoa mixture and mix until combined.

Add flour and mix until combined. Batter will be thick.


Mix in chocolate chips.


Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough into palm of your hand. (If you don't have a scoop, approximately 1.5-2 Tablespoons of dough.)

Use your finger to create a whole in the dough - kind of like a bird nest shape.

Place a caramel in the center of the nest. (In the picture below, you will see Caramel Bits, but again I think you will be much better off with a caramel instead of the bits.)

Fold in dough around caramel and form into a ball.

Place on lined cookie sheet approximately 2 inches apart.

Bake for approximately 9-11 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes until transferring to a cooling rack.


They are incredibly delectable. Check out my son, Tommy, in the picture below. He helped me make them, so I promised to put his picture in the blog post. Since he helped make them, he also got to try the first one. They ranked a double thumbs up. Can't get much better than that, right?

Take another look at the middle of that cookie! A true work of art, don't you think? Moist chocolate cookie with gooey caramel oozing out of the middle. MMMM

I hope you love them as much as we do.

"So, there's this boy - he kind of stole my heart. He calls me mom."
Happy early 12th birthday to my son. I am so very proud to be his mom. I love him more than words can explain. 

Is there a boy, or maybe a girl, who stole your heart? Make sure you tell them regularly, and maybe even bake some yummy cookies with them. . .
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment