Thursday, September 12, 2013

Oatmeal Walnut Cookies


I'm sorry it has been so long since my last post! The good news is that I am working full time again. The bad news is that while I am adjusting to my new job and my new schedule, my posts will definitely not be as regular as they had been over the summer. 

I have been planning to post these cookies for over a week now. Unfortunately, my first batch didn't turn out well, so I had to find time to make them again. Thankfully, the second time was a charm. Otherwise, I still wouldn't be posting this recipe. 

I know most people like raisins in their oatmeal cookies. As many of you know, I am not most people. I like to blaze my own trail. True to form, I don't like raisins in my oatmeal cookies. BUT, I do like oatmeal cookies. I particularly like the chewiness you get with them. AND, the crunch of walnuts sets that chewiness off real nice.

I hope you like this recipe. And if you are a die hard raisin lover, you can always either add a cup or replace the nuts with them.

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Cookie Scoop (I used a medium scoop for bigger cookies.)
Baking Sheet(s) lined with Parchment or Silicone Mat
Cooling Rack(s)

Ingredients:
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
2 Large Eggs
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Soy Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Oats, old fashioned or rolled
1 cup Walnuts, chopped (I break mine into pieces by hand.)

Directions:
In KitcenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment, mix together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until just blended.


In a separate bowl, whisk together soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, corn starch, xanthum gum, baking soda and salt.

Add oats to dry ingredients and mix.

Add dry mixture to wet ingredients in KitchenAid mixer and blend until just mixed.


Add nuts and mix by hand until just incorporated.


Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets approximately 2 inches apart. (I get about 6 cookies per sheet. If you make smaller cookies you can place them closer together and get more cookies per sheet.)

Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden.

Let cool for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.

I really wanted to dip these cookies in chocolate, but my microwave is broken and I was too lazy to melt my chocolate the old fashioned way. When my microwave is fixed, I will re-post this recipe with the chocolate. BUT, if you are so inclined, try it out. I think they will be amazing!



But even without the chocolate, these cookies are pretty amazing. They are chewy and crunchy and sweet. MMMMM good.

As I was decorating my new office this week, I came across this long forgotten quote:

"Work as if you don't need the money, love as if you have never been hurt, and dance as if no one is watching!"

I've always thought that was pretty amazing advice. Try it out, it feels pretty good.
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment