Monday, September 16, 2013

Caramelitas


So, if you are having withdrawals from the lack of baking going on here at I Can't Believe It's Gluten Free, you are not alone. I too am feeling like I am on the verge of a meltdown. I'm terribly sorry. I'm hoping that once I get the hang of the new job, I will be able to bake and post more regularly. Until then, we will have to muddle through together. When I say muddle through, what I really mean is please hang in there with me. And since my posts will be less regular, I will do my best to make each and every post something special. Starting with today's post. 

Oh boy, are these ooey, gooey caramel, chocolate oat goody bars something special. I am definitely making a double batch next time. I suggest you skip the single batch, and just double it the first time. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

What You Will Need:
Small Saucepan
8 x 8 inch Square Pan

Ingredients:
1 bag Kraft Caramel Bits
1/3 cup Heavy Cream (Whipping Cream)
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
3/4 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 cup Soy Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 cup Oats, old fashioned or rolled
1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Directions:
In small saucepan, melt caramel bits and heavy cream until smooth. (Be patient - this may take some time. Be careful - watch it closely. You don't want it to scorch.)


Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking soda, oats, and butter. (Mix the dry ingredients together until well blended before adding butter. You will see in the picture that I didn't do this, because I was tired from a long day of training and totally forgot.)


Spread half of the oat mixture into the bottom of the 8 x 8 pan, and bake for 10 minutes.


Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust.


Pour caramel over chocolate chips.

Crumble remaining oat mixture over caramel. Return to oven, and bake for an additional 15-20  minutes or until edges are golden brown.


Let cool completely before cutting.

Serve and store at room temperature.

Look at that ooey, gooey goodness - so delicious.

"Be the reason someone smiles today."

I hope this recipe makes you smile.
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment