Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Melt In Your Mouth Cookies


My babies are growing up. Today was my son's first day of 7th grade, and my daughter's first day of 4th grade. Isn't it crazy how fast time flies? It seems like just yesterday that my son was going to his first day of Kindergarten, and my daughter was just a toddler.

I thought, since I was lucky enough to be home today, that I would make them a special treat to welcome them home from their first day of school. I needed something that wouldn't take long, since I had several other things on the to do list today. 

Melt In Your Mouth Cookies were the perfect solution for my time issue. My only concern was that they might not seem exciting enough. So, I decided to jazz them up a bit with some green food coloring, because here in Lake Orion, green is where it is at. Our school colors are green and white, and our mascot is a dragon. We like to say that, "We bleed green."

What color do you bleed? Go ahead and make your Melt In Your Mouth Cookies that color, or leave them uncolored. Either way, they will "Melt In Your Mouth."

What You Will Need:
KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Plastic Wrap
Cookie Sheets Lined with Silicone Mat or Parchment Paper
Cooling Rack

Ingredients:
Cookies
3/4 cup Soy Flour
3/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract or Almond Extract
Food Coloring (Color of Your Choice)
Glaze
1 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2 Tablespoons Water

Directions:
In a small bowl, whisk together soy flour, corn starch, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthum gum and salt. Set aside.

In KitchenAid Mixer with Paddle Attachment, beat together butter and powdered sugar until fluffy - approximately 2 minutes.


Add extract.

Add food coloring. (I added approximately 35 drops. You can also use gel food coloring.)

Add dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. (You may have to finish mixing with a spatula.)


Divide dough into thirds, transfer to three separate large pieces of plastic wrap, and form into thin cylinders. (This requires some patience. Wrap the dough in the plastic and work it the best you can into a cylinder shape. It is really about squeezing and shaping, than it is about rolling. You may also have to unwrap and re-wrap the plastic a few times.)


Refrigerate for at least an hour. (Mine was in the fridge for a few hours while I painted a coat of paint in my son's bedroom.) 


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cut cylinders into 1 inch slices, and place on lined baking sheets approximately 1 inch apart.



Bake for 12-14 minutes or until edges are slightly golden. Be careful not to over-bake them. (If your dough is colored, you won't be able to tell if the edges are turning golden. It is best to err on the side of under-baking. Over-baking will make them dry and crumbly.)

Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.

In a small bowl, mix together powdered sugar and water. 


There are two ways to glaze your cookies. You can dip your cookies into the glaze (which is my preferred method), or you can drizzle the glaze over the cookies with a spoon. 



When the glaze has set, enjoy the "Melt In Your Mouth" goodness. 

If you don't eat them all in one sitting, you can store the cookies in an air-tight container for several days. Good luck keeping them around for that long.



This beautiful plate was waiting for my kids when they arrived home from their first day of school. Yum!

"Some days were just made for cookies."

Today was one of those days. I hope you enjoy making (and eating) these cookies.
Sheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment