Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes


This one was my mother's idea. She loves pineapple upside down cake, and has been making it for years. I was looking for ideas for some new goodies, and this was her first suggestion. It sounded like a great idea, but since I love singe servings, I decided to make cupcakes instead of a cake. My mom said they were great, but she would have liked them to be a little more crunchy/caramelly on the top. I think I might try to torch them a bit after they come out of the oven next time to see if that works.

In the meantime, here is the recipe. I served these at church this morning, and everyone who tried them, told me they were incredible. Nothing like a bunch of unsolicited praise to support my belief that gluten free goodies can be just as good, if not better, than those with gluten.

What You'll Need:
Small Microwave Safe Bowl
Non-Stick Cooking Spray
Cupcake Tins
Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Medium Scoop
Baking Sheets

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 can (20 oz.) Pineapple Tidbits
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Soy Flour
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch/Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 teaspoon Baking Powder
3/4 cup Pineapple Juice (reserved from can)

Makes 18 cupcakes

Directions:
Spray cupcakes tins with non-stick cooking spray

In small microwave safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add brown sugar and mix well.

Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving liquid for cake batter. Place tidbits in the bottom of each cupcake mold in a star shape.

Spoon one tablespoon of brown sugar mixture over pineapples. 

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In medium bowl, whisk together soy flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, xanthum gum, salt, baking soda and baking powder.

In stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together 1/2 cup butter and sugar.

Add eggs one at a time, mixing for one minute between each addition.

Add vanilla.

With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients.

Keeping mixer on low, add pineapple juice and mix until well combined.

Using medium scoop, scoop batter over pineapples and brown sugar mixture.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Run a knife around the edge of each cupcake, then invert on a baking sheet.

Best served hot. But I have to be honest, I served these the next day, and they were an even bigger hit than I could have imagined. 

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~Jeremiah 29:11

What a great promise to hold onto. 
~Sheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment